Do you need to speak to someone about your emotional wellbeing?
I need help now
We all have times where we feel low or sad sometimes but some of us feel it differently than others.
Some of us have depression. This is more than feeling unhappy for a few days – it can last for a long time and get in the way of your life. It can seem like the bad thoughts will never go away – this makes it very hard to do normal everyday things.
Having depression does not mean you are weak. It is not something you should be expected to ‘snap out of’. It is a common problem and it can be treated.
What causes it?
- Life events such as the death of a loved one
- Some people have a history of depression in their family. This can mean they are more likely to get it themselves.
- Some people can become depressed for no clear reason.
How does it feel?
Feeling sad or low affects people in different ways:
- Changes your eating or sleeping habits
- Makes it hard to focus or remember things
- Changes how you feel – you might feel more annoyed, weepy or lonely than usual
- Can make you feel hopeless
- Makes you lose interest in things you usually enjoy
- Makes you think more negatively than usual
How can I get help?
You may find it helpful to speak to a professional about your feelings.
Find out more about how to access our Emotional Wellbeing & Mental Health services.